Thursday, July 15, 2010

My daily motivation tip: Getting started

Mount Everest North Face as seen from the path...Image via Wikipedia
When looking at the big picture 100 pounds seemed like a huge goal (actually I had to lose 125 pounds). And when looking at the 350,000+ calories I had to burn that number just blew me away.

How do I find the motivation to go exercise every day?

I dont.

Some days I don't feel like moving. I would love to sit on the couch all day and watch TV like I used to. On these days I do not have a goal to go jog a 5k. What I do though is just get on the treadmill or put on the gloves. Once I start walking I get warmed up and I think, "hey this isnt bad maybe I'll speed up". Or I start tapping the bag a few times and before you know it I am sweating and I am smacking the bag pretty hard. So if you can just get the motivation to put your sneakers on, go to the gym, you are 95% of the way to a nice workout.

The climb of Mount Everest doesn't begin on the peak. It begins at the base, with a long walk up. The peak is the hardest part but in the relative terms you are already on the mountain might as well climb that last part.

So, don't think of the big picture when you are looking for motivation. Instead think, I am gonna stand up and then put on my shoes and see where it goes from there. Once your shoes are on you may find the rest of the climb just happens.

Get up and get started, it will all fall in place.

You can do this!

No comments: