Saturday, July 24, 2010

Motivation: Be creative

A reel lawn mower, adapted from an illustratio...Image via Wikipedia
I think if you do the same thing every day while trying to burn calories it could get old quick. I found that mowing the lawn burns a bunch of calories.

The cool thing is my lawnmower died. How is that cool? Well I got a REEL Mower (spelled that way). Its like the old ones from when my parents were kids. You push it and it cuts the grass how novel! Anyway doing my 1/4 acre yard burned 390 calories and took 30 minutes. About the same as a light walk on the treadmill. Not bad and the lawn looks great and I used 0 gas and no emissions! Has a really cool scissor sound.
So, if your old lawnmower is on the fritz I recommend dumping it and going old school!

The point is you dont always have to run or jump rope or whatever it is that you are doing when not sitting on the couch. Just get up and do something beyond the norm and you will find calories melting away.
This is the one I bought:



Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Julie said...

That's awesome--we have a push mower, too, and love it! Speaking of which, I should probably mow today . . .