Saturday, July 10, 2010

Heavy Bag!

Heavy Bag [162:365]Image by ax2groin via Flickr
  My knees are officially messed up. Carrying this heavy frame around for a long time its no wonder. I have taken many precautions to be safe, such as stretching, wearing neoprene braces, tiger balm, NSAIDs and rest. It really hurts to walk up and down stairs. So they need a break... a long break.

I got a heavy bag with gloves off of Craigslist for $50 it was brand new and came with all the mounting hardware and all accoutrement.

I spent 36 minutes punching the poop out of it and after checking my body bug I burned 10 more calories per minute doing that than walking at 3mph on the treadmill (18.9cpm Boxing vs 8.5cpm Brisk Walking). Now I see why they do it so much on the Biggest Loser. It is also very cathartic. Releasing a ton of pent up frustration out on a bag is really great.

So my plan going forward is to do 30 mins of boxing mixed with 30 mins elliptical for the rest of this week. That should give my knees enough rest to recover enough for me to go back to jogging on the treadmill.

No comments: