Monday, August 02, 2010

Checking in

Sad monkeyImage by Photocapy via Flickr
Just checking in. I had a bit of a scare after last weeks 4 mile run. The next day I woke up and it hurt to breathe. It was during deep breaths only.

My whole trunk was sore though but I thought I should go to the doctor. By the time I went it was after my Dr's office had closed so I went to after hours care. It took 2 hours to be seen and when they did the PA said I had pluracy, basically where the lungs are rubbing on the surrounding tissue. Its a pretty serious condition. He prescribed me a steroid and also some antibiotics because the steroid would lower my immune system. Great.

The real truth was I was just sore and did not have pluracy. Instead I was just sick and sore from the run. I never took the meds because its too iffy. I am just going to take it easy for a few days and then hit it.

Kind of disappointing that every time I go for it my body rebells in some way. If I would quit getting sick I could burn the calories. Maybe its too much too soon? Who knows.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Wow, how horrible! I'm glad it's not pleurisy--that can be some wicked stuff.

I know what you mean about your body rebelling when you hit your stride. Last year, it was a sprained knee that I was in physical therapy for for almost 3 months. This year, it's been a bulging Achilles tendon. It's hard to know when and how hard to push with exercise. I have to judge between a pain that can turn into injury if I push myself, or a pain I can safely push through. There are days that I just get on my treadmill and take an easy stroll for 30 minutes at 0 incline, and while I'd rather be trying to improve my mile time or go for distance or increase the incline, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Just keep moving, every day, a little something! =)

I hope you feel better soon!