Saturday, February 02, 2008

Starting to run (sorta)

Here is my situation. I am 36 year old male and morbidly obese. I am 5'7" tall (in the morning) and 266 pounds. I carry the weight well due to genetics, however I am fat. No bones about it. My goal is to lose 100 pounds by January 1 2009. Its a steep goal but I figure it is better to shoot for the top of the mountain. If I fail on the way up, it will still be a good view. I got the go -ahead from my doctor who did blood workup and an EKG on me to check my ticker. Its all good so here I go.

I started using my elliptical machine last week. I bought an iPod sports kit and found out it would not work with my iPod video. At the same time my daughter may have thrown the video away anyway. So I bought a new Nano. Its sexy and very light. Got an armband and started using the elliptical machine. I ran 4 miles (via machine readout) and found out the little Nike+ sensor wouldn't read the run due to the sensor only registering hits on the ground.

Today I tried something new. I got the idea to tape the sensor on the arm of the machine near the back. It travels now like a foot in motion and at the bottom of the swing it hits, so now I am getting a reading on my iPod. Very cool. Due to the interface that comes with the Nike+ kit I can track the runs via a website.

Those who know me know I am a real geek. Anything techy gets me going. To that end I bought the gear listed above. If I can keep myself motivated to exercise via a web interface then cool. My first 2 runs did not register on the sensor, but my 3rd one today did. Because Its working now I can set goals. Only problem is my goals I set today after my run did not register the previous effort. Ahh well. So if you check my first post you can see how I am doing via a spiffy flash tracker.

Time to go shower. Thanks for looking.

No comments: